Free monthly actionable lessons on how to run professional quality playtests and start a career in games user research. Written by games user research veterans and people who have just made the leap, the games user research newsletter will help you stand out from the crowd and get your first job in games UX research.
The free monthly lessons are perfect for people who are looking to go beyond the How To Be A Games User Researcher book and want to take the next step to accelerate their research career.
Learn topics such as:
- How to write a playtest survey
- How to get experience without a job
- Top interview questions to ask players
- How to build a games user research portfolio
- Develop quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Where to find internships and jobs
Get the next issue direct to your inbox
Read popular posts
Some of our previous editions, covering topics popular with people starting a new career in games user research.
What readers are saying
The newsletter provides so many helpful tips and tricks for any newbie, especially those coming from a career in academia, who wants to break into the gaming user experience research industry.
I have been able to read what UX looks like in the gaming industry and translate it into academic terms, ultimately helping me wrap my head around how I might be able to market myself.Lucy C. Niess – PhD Candidate entering the games industry
The Games User Research newsletter aids me in my journey as a UR Designer for Ubisoft and PhD candidate in GUR with its diverse and rich content about success stories, industry advice, job listings, links to additional resources and more.
This really makes me feel part of the lovely GUR community.
Whether you are just starting, looking to excel your UR career or wanting to be in the loop about the current research trends in the games industry, then this newsletter is for you.Natali, User Research Design Intern at Ubisoft
What’s in each issue?
Games user research lessons
Monthly lessons deep diving on the skills new researchers need to know
Interviews with new + experienced games user researchers, sharing their insider tips
Entry level jobs + more
The latest junior games user research jobs, and curated links from across the community
Find your first games user research job
Join the community of over 1000 people establishing their games user research careers and get the latest jobs and careers advice from the pros.
Learn research skills
The essential skills needed to run high quality playtests and become a games user researcher.
- Expert playtest moderation – ask unbiased questions
- How to write a games user research report
- How to write a playtest survey
- Convince teams to playtest
- Find the fun – measuring enjoyment in games user research
- Sharing Games User Research Findings
- Remote games user research
- Quantitative Research for new user researchers
- Why do games user researchers start by defining research objectives?
- Test early and often
Get ahead in your career
Get ahead of the competition by learning how to make the most of your experience, get interviews + ace the application process.
Career interviews with new + experienced games user researchers, exploring their own journey into games, and their top tips for getting ahead.
- Jess Tompkins – Senior Researcher at EA
- Lanie Dixon – Director of Insights at Ubisoft Montréal
- Hannah Murphy – User Researcher at Activision
- Marco Alesci – Games User Researcher at Player Research
- Krista Parham – Senior User Researcher at Kabam
- Richard Lemarchand – Playtesting and a Playful Production Process
- Jason Schklar – Founder & UX Consultant at UX Is Fine
- Patrick Tan – User Researcher at Hothead Games
- Jimmy Zhou – Researcher at Riot Games
- Joe Florey – Senior User Researcher at PlayStation
- Adam Lobel – UX Researcher at Blizzard
- Tyler Sterle
- Charles Somerville – User Researcher at Bethesda.
- Surabhi Mathur – UX Researcher at EA Sports
- Elizabeth Zelle – Amazon Games
Kickstart your career today
New for 2022 – I’ve interviewed researchers from top companies such as EA, Blizzard, PlayStation, Ubisoft, Activision and more about their top career guidance.
Sign up below and get the free ebook to learn their ten essential tips, and kick-start your GUR career today.